Needing a map

The philosophy and otherwise irrelevant ramblings of a struggling poet.

Sunday, May 11, 2003

I suppose changes come to everyone's life at some point. A few years ago, most people who knew me would say that change was more a part of my life than monotony. Actually, for the most part, that still applies. My life in general is usually in upheaval. My one stability is work. And even that really isn't all that stable. I just always know I'm doing it.

Right now, most people are of the opinion that I'm doing too much. This week I worked about 72 hours. Of course, this week is an oddity. It's mother's day and I will be working at the flowershop extra hours. Next week I go back to my normal 64 per week. Granted that's a lot. Sometimes too much, and I work 7 days a week. (somewhere in the back of my mind Mrs. White's speech "And I works Seven Days A Week. Seven LONG 'ard days with NO rest for me weary bones, me weary muscles....etc") (Mrs. White being my part in the play I just did.)

I'm digressing....
Change, Ah yes...Change
It's good, sometimes. Sometimes it's not. Even when you know that the change is ultimately for the better, it's still hard to give up something that one has had for years. Be it, a habit, a routine, or a relationship, relinquishing something, that has been a part of one's life can feel devastating. Regardless of looking at the logical ramifications of the situation, and recognizing that the outcome will be better for all concerned if the change is made, the pain involved in the process is overwhelming.

Between losing something that has been very dear, and learning to refocus the energy one once spent on that something, the world often feels upside down.

I'm happy to see that even here, I may be able to find the path to the writing cottage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home