Needing a map

The philosophy and otherwise irrelevant ramblings of a struggling poet.

Sunday, April 20, 2003

Sometimes I forget that not everyone grew up almost living in a church. I'm usually reminded when I confess to someone how little I know about evolution, and all the related aspects of it. That goes for most of the sciences actually. Going to a very very small Christian school is not beneficial to certain parts of one's education.

This summer I went to New York City for the first time. Of course, I experienced many many many new things. One of them was walking throught the Natural History Museum with someone who actually could explain some of the things that my education skipped. Oddly, when put in the situation where I could have had many of my questions answered, I couldn't think of anything. Periodically, my companion on that excursion reminds me that I can still ask him all the questions I want. I still can't think of any. Perhaps one day I will just tell him to start at the beginning and explain it all. That might take a while though.

Sometimes I feel a bit behind the world because of the gaps in my education, and in my popular culture knowledge. My friends refer to everything that happened in the 80's as "Lisa's Bubble." They have tried to fill in the gaps in recent years. I have learned a good bit about pop music from the 80's. I'm still working on the TV shows, and the news bits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home