Needing a map

The philosophy and otherwise irrelevant ramblings of a struggling poet.

Saturday, December 28, 2002

Several years ago, around this time of year, my niece died. She was three years old and had spinal meningitis. From the first signs of the disease to the final moment was less than 30 hours. It was absolutely devastating to many people. Her parents were, understandably, grieving for a very long time. Unfortunately from this grief came a separation of my mother and my older brother. For some reason, my brother's wife no longer wanted my mom in her life. My personal opinion on this is that Sierra was very close to my mother and my sister-in-law could not be reminded of her happiness when all she was capable of feeling at that time, was pain. My mother avoided being around small children for a few years. I have friends who had a daughter a few months younger than my niece would have been and for about 2 years, I had to keep them from bringing her to my mother's house.

Time has gone on and things have changed. The one bright spot in my holiday season has been tonight.

Tonight at my mother's house my family gathered. My mother, her husband and I were joined by my brother and his wife and their 4 year old son. He was born about a year and a half after the death of his sister. He's a bright and fun little boy and I very much enjoyed playing with him. I will always think of Sierra and miss her terribly, but I'm glad that after well over 5 years, my family can see past her death and understand that it is important to be together and to love and accept one another.

Coming from someone who rarely feels accepted anywhere, who merely seems to abide, this night has brought me a tremendous amount of bittersweet joy. I am amazed at the small miracle of a child and I remember the small miracle of another. And I'm amazed that a relationship, broken for years, has finally come back together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home