Needing a map

The philosophy and otherwise irrelevant ramblings of a struggling poet.

Thursday, July 17, 2003

mmmm. Summer vacation...

My summer "vacation" has been spent working in a flowershop. For those of you who have the misconception that it is all pretties and roses, and who want to keep that misconception, don't read the rest of this.




Flowershops are probably the nastiest places to work. The flowers get stuck down in a bucket full of water. Once anything has been cut off from it's life source it starts to decompose. So, within a few hours, the water in the bucket has turned slightly slimy. Wait a few days, and you can't see the bottom of the bucket. Most people see the flowers after the designers have already peeled all the bad petals off of them, defoliated the dead, moldy leaves and have stuck them in something to hide the stems.

I have about 15 pairs of jeans. (My friends say collectively and in unison, "That's all?") Every pair of jeans I own now has green patches on the front where, failing to find a towel, I have wiped my hands off on the front of my jeans to rid them of the unhealthy slime I get from the flowers.

I understand that roses, and other flowers are pretty, but I see them before you do. After the dirt, and before the presentation, they go through a nasty transformation. I guess in a way we all do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home