Needing a map

The philosophy and otherwise irrelevant ramblings of a struggling poet.

Friday, August 15, 2003

Honesty is relative. You have your opinion of what the world should know of you and you tend to stay with that. This person knows this much, that person knows something a little more, or less. At any given point no one really knows everything because life tends to be too private to discuss it with anyone. At what point does this secrecy become dishonesty? At what point is it that you are lying to someone instead of merely not talking to them about certain aspects of your life?

Everyone close to me knows that I'm very forthcoming with certain aspects of my life. With others, there is no way to get information out of me if I don't want to give it. For a long time, I though I was the only one like that and that I was wrong for being this way, but more and more, I am finding people who don't like to tell any one person everything. We pick and chose our friends to fill certain aspects in our lives, and if they try to step over their boundaries, we get angry and defensive.

Maybe this is limiting to our friendships. Maybe it's limiting to our own personal growth. Maybe it's just plain wrong. But what choice do we haver, really? We work hard to create our own little image. We sculpt ourselves using the words we hear from others as tools of shaping. And we are never done. We continue scarring the marble of our image and expecting other people to see the beauty within. But each person in life sees the statue we are creating from a different aspect, there are lines clearly drawn. Everyone in the audience has an assigned seat--non refundable, non transferable, and cannot be changed for a different seat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home