Needing a map

The philosophy and otherwise irrelevant ramblings of a struggling poet.

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Happy Voting Day!

For those of you who hit the polls today, I hope you had a relatively stress free, and enjoyable voting day.

I had lunch with a friend that I see about once a year today. Normally politics never rears it's icky head in a conversation with me because I refuse to discuss it. However, I trust this particular friend enough to touch upon the subject and at least give my actual view on what and why I believe what I do about political stances, politicians, and politics in general.

My father is the mayor of the small town where he lives. My friend begain the discussion with "So, I saw your dad on TV the other night... And well... I didn't want to say anything ... and forgive if this comes out wrong... but... well... the first thing that popped into my head was 'power trip.'" Of course I confirmed his belief and we launched off onto a political discussion as to why I make the conscious choice not to vote. Yes, it is a conscious choice. I think that this year is the first year I've admitted to the actual choice, but you know... call a spade a shovel--no matter what it's made for digging.

There is a lot to the choice. For one thing, my family and I see completely opposite on politics and they are all about freedom of choice as long as you choose their way. For another, at the rate my life moves, I honestly don't think I have enough time to pay attention closely enough to make a properly informed decision. I refuse to vote for something when I don't know exactly what it is about, or for someone (with the proper pronounial changes) for that matter. It's not that I'm afraid I'll make the wrong choice, it's that I'm not making MY choice. And when you work as much as I do and have as much going on as I do, you tend to not have much time to pay attention to the issues. In a nutshell and on the surface, that's the basic gist of why I make that choice. At some point (possibly soon) I will read up on political theory and pay more attention to what is going on around me. Up to this point, I've just barely kept my head above water with school and work and all the other issues that are previously mentioned in this blog surrounding me. So, don't be too hard on me... I don't complain about the administration that I didn't vote for either... I figure that if I didn't choose it... I can't complain.

That's the closest to a political rant I've ever done, I think.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home